Wednesday, September 22, 2010

BREAKFAST WITH THE ENSIGN: BOM CHALLENGE.

Photobucket
Editors note: I have recently discovered a quiet moment in my home. I feed my girls their breakfast, and then they seem anxious to get playing for the day. That gives me a moment to eat breakfast myself, and on occasion read for a minute. I've started leaving the Ensign on my counter so that it's available if a free moment arises. Thus originated Breakfast with the Ensign. Do you have a favorite breakfast recipe you'd like to share? If so, contact me at mamaswhoknow (at) gmail.com, I'd love to feature it here. 

The other morning I was thumbing through the September issue of the Ensign magazine and noticed a little blurb for youth (page 6). In it, the writer described her experience of accepting President Hinckley's challenge of reading The Book of Mormon issued back in 2005.

That got me to thinking and remembering. It has been five whole years since that challenge was given to church members by our beloved prophet. Five years! It feels like just yesterday.

I'm grateful for President Hinckley's inspiration, as it was a critical time in my life. Five years ago, I was recently returned from my mission and dating my future husband.  By October we were officially engaged, and by mid-December we were married. (I knew him before my mission, I'll have you know.) It was a busy and hectic and emotional time. A prime time for the effects of scripture reading.

After Christmas we traveled to Puerto Rico for our honeymoon. I still had a hefty portion of The Book of Mormon left, and wasn't sure I'd make it. With the encouragement of my newly acquired husband, I finished on New Year's Eve while the rest of our hotel rang in the new year. How romantic right?

I am grateful though, for the experience. I learned again, that following the prophet is the best thing to do. I learned that I can set goals and finish them, and I learned that I found a pretty great guy if he would share his honeymoon with scripture study.

How about you? Where were you five years ago when our prophet issued the challenge to finish The Book of Mormon in just five short months. Did you do it? What did you learn? I'd love to know.

And now for the recipe. I couldn't let this one pass without sharing. Heidi, sent this to me as one of her family favorites and it is quickly joining the ranks of ours as we have had it twice in two weeks. Delicious! It might be a good addition to your conference Sunday menu.

Peach French Toast

3 eggs
3 T peach jam
3/4 C half and half milk (you could also use whole cream)
1/2 C melted butter
6 slices of bread (sourdough tastes best)

Beat eggs, jam, milk, and butter together. Dip bread in mix and cook like you would normal french toast.

Serve with fresh sliced peaches and whipped cream and more peach jam.

If you need to subscribe to the Ensign or other Church magazines, that can be done here.

4 comments:

runningfan said...

In 2005 I had two little kids - Zach was almost 4 and Tyler was 1 1/2. We read the Book of Mormon, out loud as a family, by reading two or three chapters every night. I also read privately, so I finished the book twice in the allotted time. My husband's parents were visiting for Christmas, so we shared with them the sweet experience of finishing the Book of Mormon on Christmas Day. I'll never forget it! That was the beginning of regular scripture study for our family. We have read it four times since then and have started our fifth round. It is a hard job to read the scriptures with little kids -- but probably a cornerstone activity for "mamas who know!"

Heidi said...

Yay I am so glad you like this recipe. It's a necessity to make it a lot while peaches are in season.

That BOM challenge occured right after Ben and I were married and it was our first time to read the Book of Mormon together, so definitely a memorable time. don't think we've been that consistent in reading it as a couple ever since- maybe we need another challenge!

Mary Anne said...

I just left a comment but it didn't show up. I'll try and remember what I said...

I don't remember where exactly I was when the challenge was issued. I'm absolutely terrible at remembering these kinds of things. But I do remember finishing up on a midnight flight to Hawaii for Christmas. I'm so grateful I did it. If for nothing else, just so I can look back and know that I followed the prophet.

Erin@mamaswhoknow said...

Thanks for sharing ladies. I loved hearing where you were at during the challenge.

Thanks for being contributors to this fun little project of mine. I love hearing your insights.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...