Tuesday, August 31, 2010

BREAKFAST WITH THE ENSIGN: TEACHING OUR CHILDREN.

Photobucket
Editors note: I have recently discovered a quiet moment in my home. I feed my girls their breakfast, and then they seem anxious to get playing for the day. That gives me a moment to eat breakfast myself, and on occasion read for a minute. I've started leaving the Ensign on my counter so that it's available if a free moment arises. Thus originated Breakfast with the Ensign. Do you have a favorite breakfast recipe you'd like to share? If so, contact me at mamaswhoknow (at) gmail.com, I'd love to feature it here. 

Did you get a chance to read "Teaching Our Children from the Scriptures" from the August issue of the Ensign? Immediately, I thought it was right up my (our) alley. And, the more I am searching the more I am realizing that the Church has so many wonderful resources for us as we raise our children.

Our children are young so it has only been in about the past six months or so that we have really introduced our oldest to scripture reading. It's safe to say though that some days are more successful than others. She did tell her grandpa last week that Abinadi had been sunburned so I  know we are making strides.

We have done the majority of our reading from Book of Mormon Stories that the Church has produced for kids. I think it is good, but I think we will soon start to read a few versus from the actual books of scripture.

I really liked the points made in the August article by Sister Cheryl Lant about teaching the doctrine to our children. Often I find that we are quick to get the reading done without so much as teaching something. I think even my two year-old could learn some of the doctrine of the Book of Mormon if we took the time to teach her. Principles such as honesty, service and love are easy to teach.

If you haven't had a chance to read Sister Lant's article, I highly recommend it, especially if you've got small children in your home.

If you need to subscribe to the Ensign or other Church magazines, that can be done here.

Now on to breakfast.

Protein Pancakes
(adapted from this recipe)

My daughter will eat anything with syrup. This recipe is a great way for her (and me too) to get a little protein in the morning, instead of regular pancakes or cereal. They are a little different than regular pancakes, but we love them.

1/2 cup cottage cheese
1/2 cup oats

2 eggs

1 egg white
2 T sugar (I have used 1/2 banana to sweeten it)

1 t. vanilla

1/2 t. cinnamon
pinch of salt
Combine all ingredients in a blender or food processor and blend until smooth. Cook on a hot griddle, sprayed with non-stick spray.


Enjoy!

4 comments:

Heidi said...

I haven't gotten to my August Ensign yet but maybe I will try the breakfast thing.

This past Sunday I heard an interesting idea for scriptures with little ones. This sister shared that they read the same story every night (from the children's version of the Book of Mormon) and then on Sunday they read the real version in "mom and dad's" scriptures. Then the next week they move on to the next story. I thought that was interesting and might give kids more time to soak up what they are hearing and discuss different parts of the story each night.

Oh and here is my most favorite breakfast: http://internecipes.blogspot.com/2008/09/peach-french-toast.html

Erin@mamaswhoknow said...

That is a great idea Heid, I can see how the repetition would totally help. Don't be surprised if you see this recipe posted on here. I'd have to sample it first of course! Thanks for the comment.

Camille Phillips said...

German Pancakes

6 eggs
1 cup flour
1 tsp. salt
1 Tb. sugar
1 cup milk
1 cube butter (I usually use 1/2 a cube)

Put butter in a 9x13 pan. Place pan in a 350* oven to melt the butter. Meanwhile, beat together the eggs and then wisk in the dry ingredients. Once they are fully incorporated, add the milk. Continue mixing until well blended.

Pour the batter into the pan with the melted butter. Do NOT stir in the butter. Bake for 25-27 minutes. It will be puffy and lightly brown on the edges.

Cut into squares and serve with syrup (or fruit and whipped cream...but we like syrup).

Erin@mamaswhoknow said...

Thanks Camille, I will have to give this one a try too!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...